Friday 26 June 2009

MythTV Installation

Following my first attempt, I've decided to follow advice and install ubuntu, then add the MythTV package.

Ubuntu wasn't quite painless - during the first attempt, the screen went blank (I assume some kind of screensaver) and wouldn't respond. I wound up switching the box off, then reinstalling - this time, I moved the window displaying the progress bar every once in a while, and experienced no issues.

Myth Setup is still not displaying the buttons on tha bottom of the screen, despite my display being recognised and set to a more reasonable 1024x768 (Mythbuntu offered me 512x384 or 320x240).

It happily detected my Analog WinTV PVR-150, although if I'd read the instructions properly, I wouldn't have assumed that seeing the hardware name meant that it had set it up too. Thanks to some other idiot with the same problem, it was fixed in a jiffy.

The first real snag happens at the TV listings stage - I've got the choice of Schedules Direct (North America), EIT (the listings transmitted with a DTV signal) or No grabber. Mythbuntu offered me an alternative XML offering...

Running a scan gave me loads of channels, most of which are blank. I managed to resolve this issue by installing the mythbuntu control centre (choosing Add/Remove from the Ubuntu Applications menu), then in the control centre, add mythweb which gives a really easy way to delete unnecessary channels.

I still need those schedules though - looks like I'm going back to Mr. Parker for advice here - although he's got digital - I only want listings for 5 channels...

To be continued...

No comments: