Saturday 3 November 2007

Installing Linux 1

For as long as I can remember, Explorer on our PC inexplicably crashes or fails to refresh when I delete files (I have to hit F5 to see whether the file has really been deleted), but the computer has been in too much use or I haven't had the time to reinstall...

...until now.


Being an incorrigible techie, I am going to try out Linux.

The biggest hurdle is going to be making sure that it is wife-friendly.

I've decided on Ubuntu as it seems to be popular and not aimed at propellor-heads.

My wife needs to be able to type and read documents in Polish, English, German and Italian - this is relatively easy to set up in WindowsXP and MS Office.

She also needs access to the excellent iFinger dictionaries that we have bought. I suspect that this will be a major stumbling-block.

Since I am not brave enough to just over-write the home PC, I have a spare P3 that is going to be the guinea pig...

No comments: