Monday 2 June 2008

Connecting a Southern Electric BetterPlan Monitor to an Ethernet Network


I signed up for the BetterPlan product from Southern Electric and was intrigued by the RJ45 port on the underside of the monitor that they supplied.


Curiosity finally got the better of me and I connected it to my router via an ethernet cable...


The display mostly cleared, and the temperature reading appeared to drop by 10 degrees, then slowly recover.


I fiddled with some of the buttons, et voila - factory reset !

A month's worth of data lost and the monitor couldn't contact the base station. I think that the temperature refers to the radio channel, but it was easier just to reset the base station as described in the manual.



Nothing ventured...

5 comments:

Chris said...

Anyone work out what its for yet? Maybe an web interface of some sort?

TheEdster said...

Hi Chris - it just appears to be a method of resetting the device. Ed

Unknown said...

Is this still a mystery - got mine at weekend and immediately spotted the RJ45.
Also curious about what people think of the accuracy of the device?

Rad

Unknown said...

Glad I didn't plug mine in to try it out now. Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

It's not Ethernet. It's a serial connection that uses a RJ45 port. The manufacturers (CurrentCost) sell the RJ45 serial to USB(A) converter cable on their website.